b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Wellhausen

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Wellhausen
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 02:04:32 +0000

On Dec 27, 2007 1:58 AM, Brian Roberts wrote:
> Yitzhak,
>
> I don't want to speak for anyone else, but the DH does, in fact, discourage
> a face-value reading of the biblical texts. Perhaps that it was he mean by
> divorcing it from its literary context.

But a "face-value" reading is not necessarily the "literary context." Also,
in
my discussion of two levels, I did not end up in a position where one gets to
reading the text as it stands in a composite, but rather, better understanding
its position in the composite because one understands the developments that
it underwent.

Yitzhak Sapir