b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ASKING AGAIN Re: YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ASKING AGAIN Re: YHWH
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:20:49 -0500

Yes, that makes a difference

I think that the reason that this Name reminds one of the verb "to be", is because it is referring to the fact that G-d exists in the past, in the present, and in the future, simultaneously.

Shoshanna Walker

Shoshanna,

I should have said "when HWH is used as a verb." Sorry.

I was assuming that the name YHWH was a reflection of the third person singular verb form. This seems to be a possibility, correct?

John C. Wilking

Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net> wrote:

Of course I know that it is a name and not a verb or a noun, but someone on
this list declared that it was used as a verb, I wanted him to cite where he
thought it was used as a verb.

Shoshanna

Shoshanna,

YHWH is not a verb and not a noun, it is a personal name. The entire
"morphological" argument hinges on the, in my opinion undecidable,
question
as to whether Y and H are radicals or personal pronouns.

Isaac Fried, Boston University