b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ASKING AGAIN Re: YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: TedBro AT aol.com
  • To: if AT math.bu.edu, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, rosewalk AT concentric.net
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ASKING AGAIN Re: YHWH
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 08:59:37 EST

Shoshanna and Isaac:

The point I made is not that YHWH is a verb, but that the name appears to be
derived from the verbal root HYH. Does anyone on this list disagree with a
verbal derivation? (The Hebrew lexicon is generally recognized to contain
both
denominative verbs, nouns with a verbal root, and deverbal nouns, a noun
that has been derived from a verbal root.)

In Ex 3:14, G-D explains and elaborates on His name to Moses saying: 'EHYEH
ASHER 'EHYEH, which is usually translated I AM THAT I AM. 'EHYEH is the
first person imperfect form of the verb HYH. An alternate translation might
therefore be" I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE, although the imperfect form does not
always indicate future time. This seems to be as clear as the evidence is
going
to get that YHWH is somehow connected with HYH.

The exact form YHWH never appears as a verb.

Cheers,
ted

In a message dated 12/26/2007 3:11:42 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,