b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Looking into the Wellhausen JEPD Theory

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Looking into the Wellhausen JEPD Theory
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 08:43:08 +0200

Dear Edward,

Please don't missunderstand; no-one here has claimed that it is "not permitted" to question the Documenary Hypothesis. Quite the contrary - Yitzhak has mentioned the many changes and ammendments that have been proposed over time, as our understanding of the archaeological, geographical, historical, literary and linguistic background of the biblical world has evolved. In any kind of science, a theory/hypothesis (and that really IS all we are discussing here) is only valid as long as it is the most reasonable way to understand the evidence as it is known at the time. As new evidence comes in, the theory must be either updated or abandoned. In the field of biblical studeis, the past 150 years have produced more evidence than did the previous 1500 years, and yet the basic methodology behind the DH has proven to be sound. So that while present-day renderings of the DH are as similar to the "original" Graf-Wellhausen theory as present-day biology is to Darwin's original theory of evolution, it can certainly be said that (in both cases) the "original" still stands. Of course, an astonishingly new discovery this afternoon may force all of us to eat our hats, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You are also correct, that in all sciences (not just "hard science") someone does occasioally come along and revolutionalize the field. Even if a person's "radical new" ideas eventually turn out to be wrong, "rocking the boat" and frosing everyone to re-think their positions is a good thing. However, the difference between humanistic studies, especially biblical studies, and the "hard sciences" is that no-one would dare claim that the accepted theories that guide physics are wrong, without first aquiring a proper education and the approprate degrees in those theories. In the case of biblical studies, many people feel free to criticize without first really studying what they propose to knock down. Of course, this is met with antagonism from the "professionals". Now it is still possible that someone from "left field" might actually be right - but for every persecuted Galileo, there are a hundred more would-be wanna-be's who just do not get it.

The main part of your message claimed that the Graf-Wellhausen theory should be discounted because its propnants were anti-semites, predecesors of the Nazis. While it is true that every scholar is a product of his or her society and generation, and some of them may have actually been despicable human beings, the scientific meathod that I was taught says that one should evaluate a theory by what it says, not by who said it.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: <belaga AT math.u-strasbg.fr>

Dear Ytzhak and Yigal,

I do not agree with the currently dominant academic interpretation of
the historical roots of the Biblical narratives. Such disagreement is
permitted in hard sciences where the modern upheavals have
demonstrated the value, if not necessity of sometimes apparently
"crazy" ideas.

How then could I discuss with you my doubts ? Your strict adherence to
the currently dominant academic positions and norms has finally
convinced me to expose here my supra-academic worries in the case, the
real source of my anxiety. Sorry if it might sound for your ears as a
heavy metal music. But let me start.

If it is permitted to question the accepted for centuries authenticity
of the Patriarchal Narratives and, more generally, of the Hebrew
Bible, as well as the good faith of its "creators", it is surely
permitted to question the academic authenticity and the academic good
faith of the Graf-Wellhausen JEPD Theory.

The problem is that, starting with at least Arthur Schopenhauer, the
German school of thought, the academic school of thought including,
has been slowly approaching the vision and the will which, at the
hands of the Nazis, became the academic theory and will of the
extermination of the Jews, starting with their mental and intellectual
extermination from the religious, cultural, and intellectual scenes.

In his book "The World As Will and Representation" (Volume I, Dover
Publications, New York 1969. Translated from the German by E. F. J.