b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Wellhausen JEPD Theory re Patriarchal Narratives

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Wellhausen JEPD Theory re Patriarchal Narratives
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 22:25:51 +0200

From: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>
Yitzhak Sapir:
I asked you a very simple question, and we are all awaiting an answer. For
your convenience, I will repeat my question verbatim:
Please point out at least one story in the Patriarchal narratives which, in
your view, reflects the 1st millennium BCE, and does not reflect the
mid-2nd millennium BCE.
Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois

Dear Jim,

I'll give you two:

1. The story of the "treaty" between Jacob and Laban the Aramean at Gilead in Gen. 31, is an obvious reflection of the Israel-Aram frontier in the same area in the 9-8 centuries BCE.

2. The story of Joseph's imprisonment of Benjamin and the latter's "release" by Judah is a reflection of the struggle between the two kingdoms over the Benjamin territory in between them in the late 10 and early 9th centuries - see my "Joseph, Judah and the 'Benjamin Conundrum'", Zeitschrift für Alttestamentliche Wissenschaft 116 (2004), 223-241.

Yigal Levin