b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Study on energic nun ter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Study on energic nun ter
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:07:52 +1100

Pere,

Do you really believe that the ancient Hebrews had something that we are compelled to fancifully call today "energic nun"?

Yes -- but I'd drop the words "are compelled to fancifully".

You are saying that this nun is inserted.

Don't know what you mean by "inserted". If you mean something like that energic nun is a morpheme which is gradually dying out in BH and it is consequently somewhat "optional", then yes, it is inserted.

But is it not the reverse, namely, that this nun was there in the first place and then over time dropped out of the form?

Yes, the morpheme was there and was gradually dying out.

Should we then mark and call the vacated spot "the dropped
energic nun fault line", or something else to this effect?

No, of course not.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

Regards,
David Kummerow.