b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qamats or patah?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: pporta AT oham.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qamats or patah?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:55:49 +1100

Hi Pere,

There is no semantic difference between the two aside from that of the suffixes. Paradigmatically, with the suffix verb qamets shortens to pathah before 1cs suffix.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

I compare the word HBY)TNY in 2Sa 7:18 with the word HBY)TNW in Nm 16:14 and I wonder why the first has patah under taw while the latter has qamats instead.

I assume these are words of the same structural pattern, with the only difference of the personal pronoun at the end.

Is there any good reason for this different vowels in structurally identical words?

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Spain)