b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47 - Suffix -UT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47 - Suffix -UT
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:26:08 +1100

Sorry, obviously this:

"[hi'] (3ms anaphoric pronoun)"

should read: "[hi'] (3fs anaphoric pronoun).

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Before I commit to what I said about entirely retiring from this discussion:

1. Typological analysis of known human languages has convincingly demonstrated that human language minimally requires three vowels.

2. Since you obviously do not understand phonemics, let me briefly demonstrate: [hu'] (3ms anaphoric pronoun) and [hi'] (3ms anaphoric pronoun) form a minimal pair allowing for the identification of the phonemes /u/ and /i/. They are thus phonemes -- not identity markers. The fact that they may be used as such is entirely secondary -- which means that not every 'u' or 'i' is an identity marker. Other linguistic criteria isolate these phonemes as vowels, distinguishing them from the consonantal phonemes.

3. The fact that you are oblivious to these facts necessitates that you really should read up on basic linguistics and until you do so your thoughts cannot be taken at all seriously.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Which is an erroneous, and -- as always it seems -- linguistically unsubstantiated assumption on your part. Human beings are unable to speak such a theoretical construct and has been proven through the typological documentation of languages world-wide.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

David,

You have said

"Actually, I said, and have said, a lot more than that."

I know. I would greatly prefer, though, to stay focused on one thing at a time.

I have said it often and very clearly before, and I will say it again:

Every U and I in a Hebrew word is a universal identity marker [aka personal pronoun], invariably. There is no such thing in Hebrew as a "vowel", except for A. The idea of the vowel is an alien carry-over into Hebrew from Indo-European grammar.

Isaac Fried, Boston University