b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47: What Foreign Language Is That? (FROM MODERATORS)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47: What Foreign Language Is That? (FROM MODERATORS)
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 20:18:28 +1100

Hi George,

To turn to your 'survivor' example, there is always the option for people to 'remove themselves from the island' due to the 'conduct' of
others on the 'island'.

I'm with Yitzhak: a list that seeks to promote scholarly sincerity in
relation to the analysis and discussion of BH should not have to suffer
a continual barrage of entirely obvious erroneous and fanciful mumbo-jumbo trotted out and paraded as matter-of-fact linguistic truth. The list is, and should be, above this. Somewhere a line needs to be drawn to protect long-suffering list members from 'voting themselves off' in the interests of their in-box. The value of the list is diminished if people move on because they have become 'sick of the island'.

Sincerely,
David Kummerow.

Dear members,

I do not want this to get out of hand in a way that turns our forum
into an episode of SURVIVOR. We're not going to vote anyone off the
island.

Also, please be more courteous in the way you phrase things. There is
sometimes a fine line between critique and personal attack, and so it
is best to stay well away from that line. We can agree to disagree -
we are all adults.

It would be a shame to lose any member, especially those who hold
posts relevant to Hebrew at tertiary institutions (you are very highly
valued on this forum). So, please let's create an environment where we
can exchange ideas cordially and in a scholarly manner.

Best Regards, GEORGE ATHAS Fellow Chairman, B-Hebrew Moore Theological College (Sydney) 1 King St, Newtown, NSW 2042, Australia Ph: (+61 2) 9577 9774