b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Language, migration and Jewish identity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Language, migration and Jewish identity
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 02:55:49 +0000

On Nov 8, 2007 10:39 PM, Jim Stinehart wrote:

> The same would also happen if you were to assert that the only substantive
> Amarna Letter we have that was written by Akhenaten (Amarna Letter EA 162)
> is
> expressly on the topic of "the iniquity of the Amorites", which is
> referenced
> so memorably at Genesis 15: 16. Do you realize that secular scholars, in
> their published works, try to tell us that "the iniquity of the Amorites" at
> Genesis 15: 16 refers to untoward sex practices of Gentiles in Lebanon?

No, I didn't! I want to look it up for myself! Could you please
provide the reference?

> People naively think that secular scholars have considered these issues
> objectively and in detail, and have rejected the comparison of the
> historical
> time period of the Amarna Letters to the historical time period of the
> Patriarchal narratives on the merits. In fact, no secular scholar from a
> leading
> university in the West is permitted to consider such arguments.

That's awful! Could you please provide the protocol guidelines from a leading
university in the West that forbids the consideration of such arguments?

> 4. As you know, secular scholars at leading universities in the West
> unfortunately consider the Patriarchal narratives to be "fairy tales",
> composed by
> multiple authors and incoherently edited, with the Patriarchal narratives
> allegedly not being pulled together until a 1,000 years or so after the
> fact (of
> when the Patriarchs were supposed to have lived).

No, I didn't know! Could you please provide me an exact citation of a secular
scholar who considers the patriarchal narratives to be "fairy tales"?

Yitzhak Sapir