b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Language, migration and Jewish identity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "jason silber" <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Dgahler782 AT aol.com" <Dgahler782 AT aol.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Language, migration and Jewish identity
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 12:03:48 -0400

Doris,

The answer is all of the above. Ashkenazi Jewry was a cobbling of Jews from
across the continent north of the Alps.

The emergence of yiddish as the lingua franca of Ashkenazim as they
themselves emerged as a distinct entity reflects the preponderance of
Germanic dialects across Europe (France through Slavic lands) during
the middle ages. Jews lived where German was commonly used, whether in SW
or eastern Europe

it isn't surprising then, that midieval German became the essence of
Yiddish, just as Arabic became the building block of Judeo Arabic and
Spanish was to Ladino .

Uzi