b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mowledeth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mowledeth
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 18:25:26 +0000

On Nov 3, 2007 6:14 PM, Pere Porta wrote:

> are you sure of what you say? No "mwo" in biblical Hebrew? Look at 1Sa 20:36
> or Gen 12:6 (MWOREH), at Pro 28:13 (WMWODEH), both coming from roots
> peh"yod. Similarly Rt 2:1Q: MWODA(, of YD(, to know (= peh"yod)
> I am obeying the transcription Guidelines everyone can read in the website
> of b-hebrew.

The holam can either come on top of a waw or not, but it is still only
a holam, not
a waw that is vocalized with a holam. A holam, according to the transcription
guidelines, is to be transcribed as o. The transcription guidelines
are not perfect
and yet try to allow for both the written text and the vocalized text
to be transcribed
on the list. It is important to remember, however, that many times a
letter isn't
pronounced even if it is written, especially in the cases of aleph,
he, waw and yodh.
Thus, the transcription guidelines, in these cases, may suggest you
write out the
waw or yodh but the letter isn't actually pronounced, even though this
may be the
impression that you get from reading the transcription.

Yitzhak Sapir