b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Interchangeable letters

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Interchangeable letters
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:13:50 -0400

Karl

SRX [with sin] is not, at least in my opinion, "running to and fro", and SRX is not "overhanging, such as draping over the edge (of a bed) or of the excess cloth overhanging the backside of the tent". To wit: Amos 6:4 U-SRUXIM (AL (AR$OTAM, in which SRUXIM is translated as 'lounge, stretch, sprawl', not hanging over their couches.
I want to tell you in the friendliest manner that in my opinion you are making the ultimate mistake in considering Hebrew in a narrow dictionary-like manner. Hebrew, unlike English, has a root system that is subtly, but quite clearly, intermeshed. By ignoring this and isolating a root to the restricted confines of a dictionary translation-definition you miss the grand panorama of the Hebrew power of allusion and intimation. Notice how clever the prophet is in Jeremiah 2:23: BIKRAH QALAH M-SAREKET DARAKEHA, playing upon the essential identity of the roots DRX and SRX. Observe how it is almost M-DAREKET DARAKEHA.
He who fails to see the inherent affinity of DRX, ZRX, TRX, YRX, SRX, CRX, is seeing only the outer shell of Hebrew, and even this only in black and white.

Isaac Fried, Boston University