b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Salt" Statue: Lot's Wife

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Salt" Statue: Lot's Wife
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:33:45 -0400

The examples you give are of similar letters interchangeable BETWEEN languages, not interchangeable IN Hebrew.

Shoshanna

What I mean by "interchangable" is that we find the a very similar word with the same or a very similar meaning either in Hebrew itself or at least in cognate languages. In many cases this can be understood as an indication that the letters used in both were pronounced the same, in others it has to do with the sound that was used in the "original" (usually reconstructed) form, which was expressed with different letters in different but related languages. Hebrew (&R (Ayin-Sin-Resh) and Aramaic and Arabic Ayin-Samekh-Resh both mean "ten". This is because Samekh and Sin are "interchangable" when transferring between the languages. The same is true of Hebrew Zayin in "Zahav" and Aramaic "Dh" in "Dahab" and so on. I know of no case in which Xet becomes Khaph (which is just a "soft" Kaph anyway).

I know that this contradicts your own personal theory, but so does all the rest of what most linguists think.

Yigal Levin