b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gezer Calendar and 6-Month "Year"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gezer Calendar and 6-Month "Year"
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:08:11 -0400

Jim:

It does not appear that you understood what was said. Where are you getting "TWO measure" from? It does not matter when the Gezer Calendar starts. It does not matter when the Qumran community started their 364-day solar calendar. It does not matter when the Torah starts its calendar. All of these calendars measure "years" in 12 month increments, not 6. In any 12-month calendar a New Year that begins in the fall will not end until the next fall, and a New Year that begins in spring will not end until the next spring. The Jewish calendar has several New Year dates. None of these "years" are shorter than 12 months. If you want to consider the 9th month in the Gezer Calendar the start of a New Year that "year" does not end until month 8 twelve months later. There is no evidence within GC that it's "year" is 6-months.

Tory Thorpe