b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Matres Lectionis and critical analysis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.anglia.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Matres Lectionis and critical analysis
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:06:37 +0100

PB: Which oldest texts was he referring to, the ones Moses wrote or the
ones God actually wrote with his finger? :)

JCR: He didn't say. But from the way in general that he
used to speak about stuff I got the impression that he
was very critical of the text and didn't adhere to any
particular traditional understanding of it.

PB: You are the computer scientist with electronic copies of the Aleppo
codex and lexicon, why don't you write a routine to pull out the
spaces, mark the matres as optional and suggest all the possible
permutations of the text and then report back to us.

JCR: Hmmm! Now you mention it, that doesn't sound like
a bad idea.

PB: With all this
talk of reading the unpointed text I would be interested in knowing
exactly what percentage of the words are truly ambiguous.

JCR: It would be interesting to know, wouldn't it? I'm
not sure I agree with Dr. Davila. Just wanted to hear
people's thoughts really. Perhaps in the hope that it
would stimulate me to formulate an opinion of my own
after hearing people's views and their reasons for
holding them.

PB: You'll have
to come up with a methodology to separate historical spellings from
true vowel letters (are you going to count the yod of BYT as a
mater?)

JCR: You do have a point. Not as easy as it sounds at
first.

PB: (Sorry for the flippant response, reading all day long is frying my
brain.)

JCR: Didn't realise you were being flippant. Most of
what you said seemed to be great suggestions.

PB: PS. Also read all of these books:

JCR: Wow! If ever I'm stuck with bibliography I know
where to go in future. You must have an awesome
library.

Do you have a view either way? I'd be interested in
hearing what people think about Dr Davila's claims.

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew - thesis1: concept driven machine
translation using the Aleppo codex
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc - thesis2: language acquisition simulation
http://www.lamie.org/ngelta