b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Matres Lectionis and critical analysis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.anglia.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Matres Lectionis and critical analysis
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:04:00 +0100

Hi all,

recent discussions have reminded me of points that my old
Hebrew lecturer used to bring up in lectures. As well as
mistakes made by the Massoretes in their vowel pointing
he also spoke about another level of critical analysis of
the text. He suggested that the oldest texts from which
the books of the Hebrew bible were copied had no matres
lectionis and were written without spaces. He further
suggested that a number of scribal errors could have
been introduced by introducing a matres lectionis where
it shouldn't be and by dividing the purely consonantal
text into space separated words incorrectly.

He therefore posited that a completely critical
analysis of the text would include not only questioning
the Massoretic pointing but further questioning the
matres lectionis and the word divisions and the further
variety of possible readings such an analysis would
provoke.

Just thought I'd throw it out there for discussion. Any
thoughts?

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew - thesis1: concept driven machine
translation using the Aleppo codex
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc - thesis2: language acquisition simulation