b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The 'need' for a king?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The 'need' for a king?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:23:10 -0400

Of course G-d gives prophecies about the consequences of human sin. Look at Parshat Ki Tavo.

If you are implying here that G-d gives a prophecy that Israel will ask for a king because they want to be like other nations, and that this is a sin, and that the commandment to appoint a king, therefore, is a consequence (ie; punishment) of their sinning by asking to be like other nations, that is not the understanding of our thousands-of-years-old tradition.

Appointing a king, having a king, is certainly no punishment. The punishment would be, rather, if we were so undeserving, NOT to have a proper leader (like today, maybe?).

Shoshanna

But does it being a prophecy imply that it is God's will? Does God never gives prophecies about human sins and their consequences?