b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The 'need' for a king?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.anglia.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The 'need' for a king?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 22:19:16 +0100

BJW:The recurring phrases of
"there was no king in Israel" and "every one did right in his own eyes"
indicate
that "Keeping the Law of Moses" (including Deuteronomy) was not being done.

JCR:My understanding was always that these phrases were
used in reference to a golden age where the people had
enough faith in Yhwh that they felt no need to have an
earthly figure to look toward for salvation.

In fact, Yhwh expresses feelings of hurt when the
people ask for a king, looking to the idolatrous
neighboring nations as their example. Furthermore, the
regal system proved to be no less flawed and perhaps
even more so than the period of the Judges. They then
also had to start paying tax as a result of their
faithless request for a king.

In fact, now I think of it, there is absolutely nothing
I can think of in the hebrew canon that would ever
lead anyone to believe that the conversion to regal
system was considered an improvement by Yhwh and his
representatives, the authors of the canon.

James Christian Read
BSc Computer Science (thesis: concept driven machine translation using the
Aleppo codex)
http://www.lamie.org/hebrew