b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The 'need' for a king?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The 'need' for a king?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 22:41:26 -0700

Dear Karl,

I wonder if we may be straying too much into the area of hermeneutics,
"confusing application with interpretation." It seems to me that the passages
regarding the king in Deuteronomy 17 is one of permissive will. God knows that
it is not a question of "if, but when" Israel chooses a king. Therefore, God
gives to Moses the requirements of a king that is NOT like the other nations,
but one that is based on His holy and righteous character. By the time of I
Samuel and the people's request (demand?) for a king, God then grants their
request. I have always taken this as a warning, "Watch what you pray for,
because you may just get what you prayed for." Israel asked for a king, and
Israel got Saul. As they say, "The rest is history."

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III