b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14 - HRH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JoeWallack AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14 - HRH
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:21:43 EDT

In a message dated 7/24/2007 12:32:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net writes:

Dear Joseph,

> "Here is
> the young woman that is pregnant". "Here is the pregnant young woman". No
good?
> As Kohan said in the classic, "The Wrath of Kohan", your translation
would
> be "far worse". What is your translation here again?
>
> Actually "Behold" & "Look" have a connotation of pysical presence anyway,
> don't they.

HH: John Oswalt (The Book of Isaiah, NICOT, p.
211, n.25) cites H. Ginsberg, in "Immanuel (Ia.
7:14)," Encyclopedia Judaica VIII: 1294. Ginsberg
argues that HRH must be "she will conceive" (cf.
Judges 13:3-5). Otherwise the following verb would
have to be converted imperfect to convey futurity.

JW:
The HRH of 13:5 looks to me to be Perfect by
Context and is also matching the Form of other
such examples I am giving from BH so this one site
is not very good evidence to me by itself. However,
as Harold Ramis said in Stripes, "I am willing to learn."
Can you expand the point with specifics from 13:5?

HH: You have not explained how my tranlsation
would be "far worse." My translation could be the
one Oswalt uses in his commentary:

Therefore, the Sovereign, he will give you a sign.
Behold, a maiden shall conceive and bear a son,
and she will call his name Immanuel."

JW:
Is your Translation a moving target?

Joseph Wallack