b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14 - HRH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "JoeWallack AT aol.com" <JoeWallack AT aol.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14 - HRH
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:32:01 -0700

Joe:

On 7/22/07, JoeWallack AT aol.com <JoeWallack AT aol.com> wrote:

> "14. Therefore, the Lord, of His own, shall give you a sign; behold, the
> young woman is with child, and she shall bear a son, and she shall call
his name
> Immanuel."
>
> " הָרָה " = "is pregnant"
>
> This is the perfect tense.

This is not the perfect tense.

First, because it is modern Israeli Hebrew, and not Biblical Hebrew
that has the tenses.

Secondly, the perfective form is HRTH הרתה.

JW:
First, do you agree that BH has perfect and imperfect distinction?

Irrelevant, as this is not either.

> but for your benefit and Karl's
> if we go by examples in the Hebrew Bible, this construction is usually the
> perfect.

See above.

Joseph Wallack

I have to admire your tenacity, but it needs to be based on accuracy.