b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Dinah raped?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.anglia.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Dinah raped?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:00:16 +0100

Hi Micheal,

this is something I've thought about before in the past.
There doesn't seem to be any linguistic evidence that I've
seen that indicates any element of force. Dinah went to
see him. Not him to Dinah. Also it would take an incredibly
stupid bloke, when approached by a recently victim's brother,
that would believe the proposition 'If you cut your foreskin
off I'll let you marry my sister'.

All things considered the context does seem to indicate
that Dinah was likely just as willing, although, being
Isreal's daughter it is easy to understand why we would
like to believe that Dinah was not a willing party to
the event.