b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dinah raped?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dinah raped?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:06:44 -0500

Dear James,
Hi Micheal,

this is something I've thought about before in the past.
There doesn't seem to be any linguistic evidence that I've seen that indicates any element of force. Dinah went to see him. Not him to Dinah.

HH:The text does not say that Dinah went to see him. She went out to see the "daughters of the land." They might include Shechem's relatives.

Also it would take an incredibly
stupid bloke, when approached by a recently victim's brother, that would believe the proposition 'If you cut your foreskin
off I'll let you marry my sister'.

HH: The Canaanites were sexually immoral, so they would not necessarily see the proposition as insincere.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard