b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JoeWallack AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:48:44 EDT

In a message dated 7/15/2007 1:12:17 AM Central Daylight Time,
bjwvmw AT com-pair.net writes:

Dear Joe,

See the following quote from Jamieson-Fausset-Brown, Volume II, Job-Isaiah,
Jer.-Mal., page 586:

"...
It should be noted that the discussion is not the meaning of "virgin" which
has been covered in previous sessions (see archives on B-Hebrew and B-Greek
and respective passages), but on the use of the article being definite. It
appears that way in Genesis 3:15, "THE woman," et al. It is clear that God,
through Isaiah, wants to make it quite clear to Ahaz that a "definite
virgin" is clearly in mind and is known. Who that "virgin" is or whether I
agree with the above quote that it refers to "Isaiah's second wife" is not
the issue. That is a speculative thought, albeit may fit the context of
8:1ff. What is the issue is that the "article" is definite regardless
whether it refers to Isaiah's wife/betrothed or another's wife/betrothed who
is a virgin, of marriageable age and presumed to be a virgin unless
otherwise indicated. It is not used in a generic and indefinite sense in
this passage.

Furthermore, the actual sign given to Ahaz is prove to him, even in his
unbelief as a descendant of David that the promise of II Samuel 7 is an
unconditional promise to have a descendant on the throne of David regardless
of the two kings who were trying to force is hand. Therefore, the article is
used to point in that direction.

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III

Hi Reverend. I generally agree with the above regarding the definite article
issue (I do not agree
regarding the young woman/virgin issue). I agree with the other side though
that the definite
article by itself does not prove that the woman was known to Ahaz. I also
think the other side has
provided evidence that Ahaz did not know the specific woman such as lack of
a name, possible
generic use of the definite article, time delay to prophecy fulfillment and
possible consideration
of Ahaz as symbolic representative of Isreal as a whole. Another
consideration is that Ahaz is
portrayed as not listening to Isaiah and therefore not wanting a sign so the
picture may be one
of Ahaz covering his ears, looking away and saying, "I'm not listening, lah
la lah."

Joseph Wallack