b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'b-hebrew List'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 22:47:46 -0400

> From: K Randolph Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 12:03 PM
>
> First, let's consider the -MW suffix. It is appended most often on the
> prefix L-, though also on other prefixes, and even nouns. It is used
> more than 200 times in Tanakh. Its subject is usually plural, though
> sometimes singular, so you cannot rule out an individual being spoken
> of in its use in this verse.

[Steve Miller] I can't speak for the suffix -MW, but LMW is used 57 times in
the Tanach, and every single time it refers to a plural or collective
antecedent. So I think you can rule out an individual being referred to by
LMW in Isa 53:8.

Wouldn't the most straightforward understanding be:
For the transgression of my people the stroke was upon them.

The antecedent of "them" is "my people", Isaiah's people. Their
transgression is what is described in the beginning of the verse.

-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceInWilderness.info