b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Grammar of Mishnaic Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <ken.penner AT acadiau.ca>
  • To: "Paul Rembach" <PaulR AT rppinc.co.za>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Grammar of Mishnaic Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:16:54 -0300

Hello Paul,

Segal's grammar is the classic. He was the one who demonstrated the type of
Hebrew attested in the Mishnah was a living language, not simply an
artificial reconstruction. The discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, (e.g.,
4QMMT) confirms this.
But Segal is a bit dated, so now I'd recommend Perez-Fernandez, translated by
John Elwolde.
http://www.amazon.com/Introductory-Grammar-Rabbinic-Hebrew/dp/9004108904

For lexica, Jastrow is the classic. It is scanned at
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=Jastrow%2C%20Marcus
and is presented in a more useable form at
http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/jastrow/

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D. (McMaster)
Dead Sea Scrolls scholars' list owner,
http://mailman.mcmaster.ca/mailman/listinfo/g-megillot
Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies,
Acadia Divinity College,
Wolfville, Nova Scotia,
Canada B4P 2R6.
(902)585-2213