b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar books

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar books
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:36:03 -0400

We didn't distinguish the difference. The books were for Hebrew, and to understand the Torah, we were taught Torah with the text of Rashi, who did base many of his comments on grammar. Since then I have learned that some of Chazal who explained Torah were known to be famous "linguists" in Hebrew.

So I suppose, that the grammar I learned formally as such, applied to spoken Hebrew, and to understand Torah, some grammar just kind of seeped in, we learned to get a feel for the way Hashem expresses Himself in the Torah, rather than the "rules"

Shoshanna