b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Question for Rolf on the JW outlook on the Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Question for Rolf on the JW outlook on the Hebrew
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 08:55:54 -0000

Dear David,

Since you continue to post in this thread, I send this post in order to sum
up the situation.

I object to the label "uncancelable semantics" since this is not a term used
in linguistics, and it may have connotations that prevents the reader from
understanding my method. It may even give the reader the impression that I
do the very opposite what is the case. The same is true with the contents of
several of your posts. Those reading them probably get the impression that I
primarily
search for absolute conclusions that are unalterable, and that I believe I
have found such. But this is the very opposite of what I am doing, in fact,
it is exactly what I am criticizing.

For example, I think we find the claim in all modern grammars that
YIQTOLs with past reference often are progressive ("durative past" is often
used, but this is a misnomer since durativity is an Aktionsart property), but
that is not the case with the WAYYIQTOLs. Since the view occurs in all
grammars
it comes close to being an absolute conclusion. I criticize this and ask:
Has anyone seen proofs of the claim that YIQTOLs with past reference are
progressive? (This is a challange to all of you who believe in this: where
are the proofs?) In
order to illuminate the question I apply the principle of "a scrupulous
distinction between semantics and pragmatices," and this means a careful
analysis of the context in order to find whether the past reference of the
YIQTOL and the WAYYIQTOL is caused by the context or by the verb form itself.
In
other words, are there clues in the context indicating that a YIQTOL with
past reference should be interpreted differently from a WAYYIQTOL with past
reference? Therefore, the distinction between semantics and pragmatics does
the very opposite of what you suggest: the method does not create
"absolutes" but it destroys "absolutes," such as the claim that past tense
is asemantic part of the WAYYIQTOL.

Please remember that I do not claim to have created one or more new
conjugations or other grammatical categories, and claiming that these are
absolutes. I have done the very opposite, I question that classical Hebrew
has four conjugations and have attempted to show that there is no semantic
difference
between YIQTOLs and WAYYIQTOLs. So, "a scrupulous distinction between
semantics and pragmatics" means attempts of falsification and not of
confirmation of creation of new things. The hypothetic deductive method that
I often follow simply forbids me to believe in absolutes. If a prediction is
made (if this hypothesis is true, we expect to find this or that) and the
data seem to confirm it, I claim along the lines of deductive logic that the
hypothesis is not proven or confirmed; that simply is not possible. But
Hebrew grammarians have reasoned differently; they have drawn "absolute"
conclusions on the basis of induction (many data point in the same
direction), and I say that this is a blatant violation of fundamental
scientific
principles. I have also mentioned that in connection with falsification I do
not believe in absolutes. This means that contradictory data must undergo a
quality test (if someone has proposed the hypothesis that all swans are
white, and I find two black swans, I have falsified the hypothesis, provided
that the two swans have not been dyed or have been through the fire or
something similar). Only a reasonable number of contradictory data with a
good quality will falsify a hypothesis or a claim. Then we must look at the
last control, Duhem´s problem; we must be certain which hypothesis or claim
the data falsify.

Most of my dissertation is devoted to issues related to falsification, the
very opposite of creating "absolutes". Only a small part is directly devoted
to "semantic meaning," because clauses which are so restricted that we, with
a good measure of certainty, can say that a certain property is a semantic
part of the verb form itself and is not caused by the context, are very few.
These are primarily found in the chapter on the WAYYIQTOLs, where examples
that are conative, where the beginning and a small part of the action is made
visible, and where one verb intersects the WAYYIQTOL, are given. And even
these examples do not create "absolutes," they are used to show that the
WAYYIQTOLs have the same properties as the YIQTOLS. Thus, these examples also
relates to the falsification process.

The primary tools used throughout the dissertation for the analysis of the
verbs are concepts deictic center, event time, and reference time, which
means that a distinction between deictic time and non-deictic time is made.
Therefore, if a label should be made, "deictic time/ non-deictic time
semantics" would be quite fitting, but this is not a term used in
linguistics, so I would not use it. In any case the label "uncancellable
semantics" is misleading,.