b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ISA 42:3 LE'EMET

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ISA 42:3 LE'EMET
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:22:08 -0700

Bryan:

While you are right that this noun often stands in a construct chain
where it is translated as an adjective, a quick look in a concordance
shows that it is often used standing alone, with the meaning of
trustworthiness which we at times can translate as truth.

This verse does not translate cleanly into English, but I understand
it as saying that God's chosen truly causes justice to go out.

Karl W. Randolph.