b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] R: how scholars debate controversial issues

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Semitics" <semitics AT gmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] R: how scholars debate controversial issues
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:41:15 +0100

Dear list-members,

I usually read (quite) all the messages of this list, even if I do not write
so often. I precise that I am not a scholar (even if I am well acquainted
with Biblical Hebrew and other Semitic languages), but have learnt a lot in
the last years from the respectable opinions of all the members, even when
they exposed innovative or "strange" ideas.

I was also surprised about the manner how debate on Furuli's model was
managed. I mean, I can still remember some interesting comments by Bryan
Rocine's on text-segmentation and yiqtols that he posted some months ago,
and even if I and other list-members cannot agree fully with this model, it
seems that no one thought to insult him or to say that discussion was not
allowed because of Bryan's personal ideas (that I completely ignore, BTW).

However, I was really perplexed in relation to the personal attacks that I
saw few days ago against Rolf Furuli. It seems that it was used shamelessly
an ad hominem argumentation. Furuli has been attacked for his private
beliefs, rather than proving that his theory is scientifically true or
false. This is not a good basis for sane discussion.

Furuli's ideas could be wrong or not acceptable: but it is necessary before
to analyze his model and (maybe) to read his thesis, as David Kummerow did.
I like B-Hebrew for its high level of scholar discussion, and I hope that
this "academic" approach will be a distinguishing feature of this list also
for the future.

Regards,
Alberto Arena