b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 13:43:25 +1100

And also the two different verbs may be seen in distinct forms of some Hiphil verbs, some Qal hollow verbs, and the distribution of third-person pronominal suffixes augmented with nun.

David Kummerow.

ps. Sorry for sending this twice. I only realised after sending it the first time that I hadn't given a 'subject'. I also added an extra comment.

On 09/03/2007 23:11, Rolf Furuli wrote:
>/ Dear Peter,
/>/
/>/ Every Thursday and Friday I am fully occupied at the University. After />/ finishing my schedule I rceived your post, and I have to give a comment:
/>/ You are wrong, and Karl is right. The WEYIQTOL and the WAYYIQTOL cannot be />/ distinguished in unpointed texts, since both can be apocopated. If you do />/ not accept this, please give one single example of where they are distinct.
/>/
/>/ /Rolf, unfortunately I don't have the Bible study tools to prove this, but I think you will find that the large majority of WAYYIQTOLs which can be apocopated are apocopated, whereas the majority of WEYIQTOLS which can be apocopated, except for those with jussive meaning, are NOT apocopated. But I accept that there are exceptions to this rule.

If you, or anyone, has any statistics relevant to this, I would be interested to see them.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter at qaya.org