b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The verbs in Proverbs 25:23

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: Kim Chua <s_kim_chua AT yahoo.com>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The verbs in Proverbs 25:23
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 14:33:19 +0000

Check out the NET notes, it has some good stuff.

48 sn One difficulty here is that it is the west wind that brings rain to
Israel (e.g., 1 Kgs 18:41–44). C. H. Toy suggests that the expression is
general, referring to a northwest wind – unless it is an error (Proverbs
[ICC], 468). J. P. M. van der Ploeg suggests that the saying originated
outside the land, perhaps in Egypt ("Prov 25:23, " VT 3 [1953]: 189-92). But
this would imply it was current in a place where it made no sense. R. N.
Whybray suggests that the solution lies with the verb "brings forth"
(lleAxT., t®kholel); he suggests redefining it to mean "repels, holds back"
(cf. KJV "driveth away"). Thus, the point would be that the north wind holds
back the rain just as an angry look holds back slander (Proverbs [CBC], 149).
But the support for this definition is not convincing. Seeing this as a
general reference to northerly winds is the preferred solution.
49 tn Heb "a tongue of secret" or "a hidden tongue," referring to someone who
goes around whispering about people behind their backs (cf. KJV, NAB, NASB,
NRSV "a backbiting tongue").
50 tn The phrase "brings forth" does not appear in Hebrew in this line but is
implied by the parallelism with the previous line; it is supplied here in the
translation for clarity.
51 sn The verse implies a comparison between the two parts to make the point
that certain things automatically bring certain results. Gossiping words will
infuriate people as easily as the northerly winds bring the cold rain.

--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net

From: Kim Chua <s_kim_chua AT yahoo.com>