b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The verbs in Proverbs 25:23

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kim Chua <s_kim_chua AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The verbs in Proverbs 25:23
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 06:03:03 -0800 (PST)

I have checked the English translation for
Proverbs 25:23 and found the following:

In English (can't type in Hebrew yet on this new
computer): The North Wind (verb) the rain and
an angry face, the tongue (verb).

One translation gives the verbs as 'drives away';
while some others give them as 'brings forth'.
What is the literal translation?

We don't have the North Wind here so I can't
tell if it brings forth the rain or drives it away.
I suppose both translations are right depending
on where the speaker is. Those in the south
gets the rain. But what about the tongue and
the angry face?

Kim Chua
Hebrew 101student
Singapore

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.