b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] numbering of 10 commandments (Exodus 20)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] numbering of 10 commandments (Exodus 20)
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:22:22 -0800

Joel:

I have seen three, not two, different numbering systems. Two are based
on the presupposition that the ten statements are all commands, the
third on the teaching that the first statement is an introductory
statement of a covenant followed by nine commands. Seeing as the Torah
itself claims that it is a covenant ברית in the verses that Peter
mentioned, as well as Jeremiah 31:31 ff, I favor the third numbering
system. The two assuming ten commands are differing interpretations on
how to make ten out of nine.

Karl W. Randolph.