b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] New Book on the KJV Only Debate

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT nyc.rr.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] New Book on the KJV Only Debate
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 22:27:17 -0500

Hi b-hebrew,

I know we are a bit off-topic, however Bill raised a good point in response
my point and invitation, which was in response to the announcement in the
somewhat off-topic original post. (whew!)

Usually the moderators here give a little leeway, and that is very much
appreciated.
And I do not think anybody wants to abuse that wonderful liberty that makes
this
forum one of the best on the Net. (Meant very sincerely, not just to butter
up the mods :-) )

Bill Rea -
>There's no point inviting members of this list to join:-
>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/whichversion/
>as it clearly states that some of our most valued contributors (in my view)
>would not be allow to participate.

Schmuel
Yes, Bill, I did make a mistake in not mentioning that the list is primarily
designed for
for folks with a Christian perspective. And my sincere apologies for that
oversight.

However that is a bit of an exaggeration. Anybody with a generally supportive
view of the Bible will I believe be given a very warm welcome. Such as
Jewish
folks who accept the Tanach as the Bible and may not be interested in talking
about the NT. Yet want to discuss the Tanach translations or the issues of
the
"Hebrew Bible and the Greek OT". Marty and others there really would value
some
of the expertise that many on this list have -- agree or disagree on overall
issues.

(A skeptic simply trying to disprove the Bible would probably only be welcome
on an auxiliary list recently set up .. if at all.)

> Anyone who wants to discuss it would be better off on Peter's Better
> Bibles blog.

Thanks.

Some of us find blogs by nature a bit limiting, albeit interesting. Also
that blog
does generally presume certain paradigms that are the actual point of
discussion
at WV. So both have a good place.

Bill, your comment to Marty below was interesting, I don't think it had the
big picture,
however I will forward it to him. I appreciate that you found and read his
article !

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Martin writes in this article:-

>What if it is true that God has promised (as the Scriptures indicate) to
>preserve every one of His words and that He has not allowed a single one
>of them to pass away (i.e. be lost in transmission)?

The only reasonable course of action based on such a belief is to
learn some or all of Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek depending on your
personal view of the scope of Scripture. Anyone with a couple of years
of formal training in any of these languages and has tried their hand
at translating or just compared translations with the source material
will know that no translation fully captures the original.

>Bill Rea, ICT Services, University of Canterbury

  • [b-hebrew] New Book on the KJV Only Debate, Schmuel, 01/09/2007