b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen. 2:16-17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen. 2:16-17
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 11:36:49 -0800

Isaac:

I guess what you can say of me is:
כי בער אנכי ולא בינת אדם לי
I don't understand how you come to your conclusions. For example, I
don't see how $RR שרר which means to chain in, to keep in line, hence
also a prince whose job is to enforce the laws, to keep the people in
line, has anything to do with "acts or states of breaking, crushing,
and disintegration." I see it as having the opposite implication.
Similarly SRR סרר which means to be sullen, showing resentment and ill
humor by morose, unsociable withdrawal derived from a suppressed
anger, feeling one was not treated right. Or how about )CR אצר to
treasure up? I just don't see the connections.

For lack of understanding, I guess I'm left with to "continue to
wallow in dictionaries, concordances, loan words, 'cognate languages'
and so on."

Karl W. Randolph.