b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] PaNiM: Faces for one person

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kenneth Litwak <javajedi2 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] PaNiM: Faces for one person
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 22:02:19 -0800 (PST)

I have been looking at the use of the word for "face"
in the Hebrew text and it appears to me that in
general, the plural, PNM, is used, when only one face
for one individual is meant. Are there theories as to
why the plural is used instead of the singular, when
obviously a singular is intended? Thanks.