b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Difference between SN) and STM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kenneth Litwak <javajedi2 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Difference between SN) and STM
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 22:06:17 -0800 (PST)

I probably don't have the right transliteration but
I'm trying to determine, after looking at the way the
words are used, what the real difference is between
sin-nun-aleph and sin-teyt-mem, both of which mean
"hate." There's not a TDOT volume in my library on
these words (I think that volume just came out, though
I'm not sure if the TDOT is any better than Kittel's
on the meaning of words). The Theological Wordbook of
hte Old Testament says that the latter of these two
stands for a deep-seated grudge, rather than simple
hate. I'd like to research this more, but I'm not
sure where to look. Any suggestions? Thanks.