b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] mishqalim - noun sound patterns

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] mishqalim - noun sound patterns
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 12:06:54 -0800

I know of no texts.

What you are describing is Tiberian Hebrew, not necessarily Biblical
Hebrew. When we disagree even on how Biblical consonants were
pronounced, it is very likely that the vowels, which were not written
out, were different as well in Biblical times, hence Biblical Hebrew.
It could be that the noun sound patterns were different in Biblical
times.

For me, reading with no vowel points, hence no vowel patterns to
follow, it's context, context, context. Sometimes in poetry I have to
parse sentences, to find verb, subject, object (if any), and so forth.

In order to connect nouns to their roots, what you really need to know
are the consonantal patterns of derivation. What makes it interesting
in Tanakh is that often consonantal derivations from different roots
can converge to the same spelling, further many spellings have
alternate spellings, so you have to keep on your toes constantly when
reading the Hebrew text.

Karl W. Randolph.