b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hebrew language and thought forms, was: "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davidfentonism AT aim.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hebrew language and thought forms, was: "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 19:57:42 -0500

I think the argument can and has been made that the concept of grace exists
in TNKh by many. Here is one article outlining the typical arguments for the
position:

Grace in the Old Testament** by Art Farstad Many people have the erroneous
notion that the OT is all law and the NT is all grace. Some liberals even
maintain that the God of the OT is harsh and vindictive but the God of the NT
is tender and forgiving. Some people (not liberals, but very misinformed)
think that OT believers were saved by keeping the law and NT believers are
saved by grace through faith! Of course these misapprehensions are not
totally made up; there is much more of a gracious framework to the NT than to
the OT. But God never changes; only His dealings change as conditions and
times change. In both Testaments people are saved by grace through faith.
"Abraham believed God and it was accounted to him for righteousness" is way
back in the first book of the Bible (Gen 15:6). It is an important verse and
it is quoted three times in the NT. The word grace occurs 20 times in the
NKJV OT, usually in the sense of "favor." The first usage, as so often is the
case in the God's Word, is illuminating: "But Noah found grace in the eyes
of the Lord" (Gen 6:8). Both the meaning "favor" and the NT idea of
undeserving kindness to needy man fit this context. The two occurrences of
grace in Psalms are very encouraging: "Grace is poured upon Your lips" (the
speech of the Messianic King is full of grace and kindness [Ps45:2]). "The
Lord will give grace and glory" (the Lord gives believers grace all along the
way, culminating in glory at the end of life's road [Ps 84:11]). The passage
in Esther (2:17) is especially interesting because it uses grace (Heb. hen)
and also the famous word hesed: "She obtained grace(hen) and favor (hesed) .
. ." This is the one text in the Greek translation of the OT, the Septuagint
(LXX), that employs the well known NT word for grace, charis, to translate
hesed. This last word is usually translated lovingkindness" or "mercy" in
the KJV/NKJV. A popular modern translation is "loyal love," tying the word in
with God's covenant obligations. R. Laird Harris maintains that this word
goes deeper than covenant obligations, and that the old KJV "lovingkindness"
is "not far from the fulness of meaning of the word" (Theological Wordbook of
the Old Testament, Vol. 1, p. 307). Personally, I feel that the word
charis--"grace" to us--would have been a good translation in many more
passage in the Greek version of the OT than just Esther 2:17! For example:
"Surely goodness and grace will pursue me [the Hebrew has a stronger word
than just "follow"] all the days of my life, and I will return [lit. Heb.] to
the house of the Lord forever" (Ps 23:6). Other related words widely used are
gracious and graciously. Many harsh and legalistic people quite frankly
don't like grace! When God fully forgives sinners such as the Ninevites, they
say with the sullen prophet Jonah, "I told you so!" "I know that You are a
gracious and merciful God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness
(hesed)" (Jonah 4:2; Jonah was griping, not praising!) We prefer the attitude
expressed in the lovely Aaronic benediction of Num 6:24-26! With this we
close our little word study as a blessing on all of our loyal readers (and on
our opponents too!): The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
**http://www.faithalone.org/news/y1991/91oct1.html