b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] comparative historical linguistics was Re:

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz" <macnietspingal AT airmail.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] comparative historical linguistics was Re:
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 15:31:44 -0500

About "mother's knee'. That stikes home when I took diction in the drama department for voice music. I complained that my whole life everyone said I talk like a New Yorker, even stangers in grocery stores. I was born in Washington, D.C. My mom came to D.C. at the age of 14 from East Bronx. It actually is used negatively. At American University as a Freshman the prof the second semester in "speech" gave me a B instead of an "A" because I didn't lose my Brooklyn accent. This caused me to lose my interest-fee loan from a Jewish organization. 1947.

Well in the 21st century the diction prof said simply "blame your mother". She said she has trained herself to use appropriate dialects but she prefers her original "mother's knee" one.

So the fact that Hebrew ceased to be used orally by Hebrew moms sure makes sense to me. The Babylonian and the Greek Hebrews. That really makes the evolution from picture language to script significant in getting the feel of ordinary communications in Mosaic times. Such communications data not available to the Hebrews in Babylonia and Greece/Egypt but is available to us today. That's because of that wonderful science called archeology.

I decided to see when archeology began. I thought I would share for those list members who don't have time to look things up. Chronology of scientific methods is important IMNSHO:)

Encyc Britannica DVD

History of archaeology
No doubt there have always been people who were interested in the material remains of the past, but archaeology as a discipline has its earliest origins in 15th- and 16th-century Europe, when the Renaissance Humanists looked back upon the glories of Greece and Rome. Popes, cardinals, and noblemen in Italy in the 16th century began to collect antiquities and to sponsor excavations to find more works of ancient art. These collectors were imitated by others in northern Europe who were similarly interested in antique culture. All this activity, however, was still not archaeology in the strict sense. It was more like what would be called art collecting today.

The Mediterranean and the Middle East
Archaeology proper began with an interest in the Greeks and Romans and first developed in 18th-century Italy with the excavations of the Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum. Classical archaeology was established on a more scientific basis by the work of Heinrich Schliemann, who investigated the origins of Greek civilization at Troy and Mycenae in the 1870s; of M.A. Biliotti at Rhodes in this same period; of the German Archaeological Institute under Ernst Curtius at Olympia from 1875 to 1881; and of Alexander Conze at Samothrace in 1873 and 1875. Conze was the first person to include photographs in the publication of his report. Schliemann had intended to dig in Crete but did not do so, and it was left to Arthur Evans to begin work at Knossos in 1900 and to discover the Minoan civilization, ancestor of classical Greece.

Egyptian archaeology began with Napoleon's invasion of Egypt in 1798. He brought with him scholars who set to work recording the archaeological remains of the country. The results of their work were published in the Description de l'Égypte (1808–25). As a result of discoveries made by this expedition, Jean-François Champollion was able to decipher ancient Egyptian writing for the first time in 1822. This decipherment, which enabled scholars to read the numerous writings left by the Egyptians, was the first great step forward in Egyptian archaeology. The demand for Egyptian antiquities led to organized tomb robbing by men such as Giovanni Battista Belzoni. A new era in systematic and controlled archaeological research began with the Frenchman Auguste Mariette, who also founded the Egyptian Museum at Cairo. The British archaeologist Flinders Petrie, who began work in Egypt in 1880, made great discoveries there and in Palestine during his long lifetime. Petrie developed a systematic method of excavation, the principles of which he summarized in Methods and Aims in Archaeology (1904). It was left to Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon to make the most spectacular discovery in Egyptian archaeology, that of the tomb of Tutankhamen in 1922.

Mesopotamian archaeology also began with hectic digging into mounds in the hopes of finding treasure and works of art, but gradually these gave way in the 1840s to planned digs such as those of the Frenchman Paul-Émile Botta at Nineveh and Khorsabad, and the Englishman Austen Henry Layard at Nimrud, Kuyunjik, Nabi Yunus, and other sites. Layard's popular account of his excavations, Nineveh and Its Remains (1849), became the earliest and one of the most successful archaeological best-sellers. In 1846 Henry Creswicke Rawlinson became the first man to decipher the Mesopotamian cuneiform writing. Toward the end of the 19th century, systematic excavation revealed a previously unknown people, the Sumerians, who had lived in Mesopotamia before the Babylonians and Assyrians. The most impressive Sumerian excavation was that of the Royal Tombs at Ur by Leonard Woolley in 1926.

---
Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz Beltsville MD

  • Re: [b-hebrew] comparative historical linguistics was Re:, Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz, 11/23/2006