b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Biblical politics of masculine and feminine

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Biblical politics of masculine and feminine
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:10:13 +0000

On 17/11/2006 17:42, Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz wrote:

I KNOW with my own eyes how ancient Greek Jews thought because of the
treatment of women in Ecclesiasticus Chapters 25 (last verses) and
26(beginning verses). ...

Some further thoughts about this: It took a lot of searching, but I did eventually find the Hebrew text of Sirach online, at http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/parallel/27.Sirach.par. But unfortunately 25:25,26 seem to be missing, at least from the text used to prepare this. 25:24 apparently reads M)$H TXLT (WN WBGLLH GW(NW YXD, understood by the translator into Greek as ἀπὸ γυναικὸς ἀρχὴ ἁμαρτίας καὶ δι᾽ αὐτὴν ἀποθνῄσκομεν πάντες, literally "From woman beginning of sin, and through her we die all".

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org