b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The Biblical politics of masculine and feminine

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz" <macnietspingal AT airmail.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The Biblical politics of masculine and feminine
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:42:27 -0500

It would take me forever to find the Talmud Tractate Sanhedrin that caused
this idea, but it was explained in the discussion group that research has
shown that when the femine is used in a universal sense in TaNaKh, it
usually deals with subjects of weakness and when the masculine is used, it
deals with matters of strength.

If this turns out to be plausible. Then wouldn't that color every ancient
document?

About Greek Jews who also dealt with Hebrew before Christianity.

I KNOW with my own eyes how ancient Greek Jews thought because of the
treatment of women in Ecclesiasticus Chapters 25 (last verses) and
26(beginning verses). My favorite verses I used to tell Catholics what God
told them about females:) It's great in Spanish too:) In fact, and this is
the truth, my mom wouldn't let me get her a Bible, but when I showed her
these verses, she said "You can get me that Bible" and I did:) You should
see people when I personally show them these verses. They do what I did.
Made the same indignant noises spontaneously:) Wonder how it really sounds
in Greek to a Greek:) This book was originally written in Hebrew. Wonder
how it sounds in Hebrew:)