b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 'Tav" Preformative Third person Masc Plural form?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • To: wattswestmaas AT eircom.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 'Tav" Preformative Third person Masc Plural form?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:22:45 -0500 (EST)

>In Ezekiel 37:7 the subject is third person, the verb is second person, (we
>don't need to worry about the masc and fem interchange at this point), this
>also occurs in Jeremiah 49:11, What I would be interested in though would be

The verbs in both cases are in fact 3rd person.

Hebrew has:

1. a verbal suffix VAV indicating plural
2. a verbal prefix YUD indicating future
3. a verbal prefix TAF indicating second person future
4. a verbal prefix TAF indicating feminine future

Verbs by default are singular, masculine, 3rd-person, past, but these
affixes can mix and match to modify the verbs. From QTL, we find:

QTL: he killed (sing., 3rd, past, m.)
YQTL: he will kill (sing., 3rd, fut., m.)
TQTL: you will kill (sing., 2nd, fut, m.)
TQTL: she will kill etc.
QTLW: they killed
YQTLW: they will kill
TQTLW: y'all will kill
TQTLW: they (f) will kill

Additionaly, we have a (more common) suppletive form TQTLNH "they
(f)/you (f) will kill."

-Joel

Joel M. Hoffman, PhD
http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman