b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 'Tav" Preformative Third person Masc Plural form?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 'Tav" Preformative Third person Masc Plural form?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 06:55:05 +0000

On 11/16/06, Vadim Cherny wrote:

From: "Yitzhak Sapir"
> Furthermore, the suffix -na appears to be original to both and
> if dropped, it was first dropped in the third person feminine
> conjugation.

Another possibility is that suffix -na is actually a "polite imperative" na
which follows the verbs, like tictov na.

Not really. The "polite" suffix word is in my opinion probably related to
a verb form that ended in -n. In any case, it is a development of only
some Semitic languages, whereas the -na that follows the feminine
plurals is original to Semitic. Even Hebrew recognizes the difference,
whereby the feminine plural conjugation suffix is spelled "nh" while the
"polite" suffix is spelled "n)".

Yitzhak Sapir