b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Sam:1:28

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz" <macnietspingal AT airmail.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Sam:1:28
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:36:13 -0400

My Webster says the first is "lent" as lending things. The second word translated even in JPS as lent is "borrowed" in the Webster. Of course lots of scholars don't like the New World edition but it sure seems folksy to me and gives the spin that I think is realistically early Israelite. I prefer it to read as "lent" and "borrowed" because I think that's how emphasis is preserved so there's no doubt in what the author is saying and it is poetic. I love reading it this way:) It's so passionate.