b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Sam:1:28

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Sam:1:28
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 08:07:22 +0200

Dear Shoshanna,

Please give me one place in which the root Sha'al means "dedicated".

Before stating that someone else's undersanding is ridiculous, have a look at Rashi: "Like a man who lends a tool to his master for his use... The Holy One Bless Him becomes a lender, and must return him to me".

Radaq (Rabbi David Qimhi) has what I think is a nice idea: "I have returned to Him a loan that he has given me".

In any case, both of them understood the word "Sha'al" as "lend" and tried to deal with it in different ways, rather than making up a new meaning for the word.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shoshanna Walker" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>