b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Moses' writing? [was: The New Testament]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Moses' writing? [was: The New Testament]
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 00:48:15 +0100

Rochelle wrote;

Point is: law codes, proclamations, and such like -- all issued under a god
-- were displayed either on large stelae or on large tablets arranged as
wall displays. The Egyptians did it, too.

JCR:

I'm sorry. But this has to be the most ridiculous piece of reasoning I have
ever heard. How exactly does one draw a parallel between a well established
city and a bunch of fugitives on the run in the desert who sleep in tents and
hope that their god will provide them with water for the next day???

Was there actually a thought process that went into the above statement? I am
particularly interested to hear more about these 'wall displays'. Do you
imagine they made their tents out of portable stone walls and hung up their
stone tablets upon them each time they pitched a portable castle in the
desert?