b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Moses' writing? [was: The New Testament]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: rochelle altman <willaa AT netvision.net.il>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Moses' writing? [was: The New Testament]
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 07:25:23 +0200

Karl...
[snip]

> You want to see the evidence? Remember, I've been collecting this stuff for
> more than 50 years...there are hundreds of examples just from the ANE and
> down through the 1st century BCE... when we get to CE, we get into the
> millions. There are more than 250,000 examples in one Late Medieval
> cemetery -- can't use all of them now can I. You'll have to wait until I
> finish organizing the blurry book on the subject -- this i going to take a
> lot of picking and choosing to fit into a single volume -- and then finish
> writing it up to see the evidence for yourself.. I've given you a few
> examples to look at so you get an idea.

One source stands out by its absence, namely tablets of Biblical
period Jewish origin.

Boy, wouldn't we love to have some. We're lucky to find bits and pieces as it is... and every time something does turn up, it's decried as either a forgery or late post-exilic.Folks don't recognize a consolidated script, how do you expect them to recognize a consolidated text? On the latter, we get quellenscheidung -- as if a subject doesn't have its own vocabulary. But what we really have are two different traditions consolidated into one text... and that was not done post-exilic.That's the type of text we find under a consolidating monarchy. It sure isn't the first example, nor the last...oldest example I've run across is under Sargon I of Sumer and Akkad. .. as usual, he used religion.

Now, the closest thing we have to examples of the original 10C are the Paleo- frags among the DSS. You see, from the format of the Leviticus scroll, it was taken down from a wall tablet.

Point is: law codes, proclamations, and such like -- all issued under a god -- were displayed either on large stelae or on large tablets arranged as wall displays. The Egyptians did it, too.

Do recall that Moshe displays the tablets to the crowd and the text is pronounced out loud. SOP back then:.display, call for attention, read it out. Why? Because a person was only liable for breaking a law if he or she had heard it. And, please, don't start on this aspect: it is very well known and attested right on down the centuries. It's what is done with illiterate populations.Hear ye, hear ye.

Course, if one insists that people could just up and do things differently from what the general population recognizes as authoritative and still be accepted....

> Incidentally, if you want to know where the double tablet comes from, look
> at Syrian MSS, then Gothic, and then the Amianitus from the 8th CE.
>
> Now, shall we get back to BH?

My question about Moses was back to BH.

Not really; this list is about questions on the language

> risa,
> Dr. Rochelle. I. Altman

By the way, where did you get the idea of sapphire cubes you mentioned
to Yitzhak? He didn't say anything of the sort, at least not publicly,
nor is there any Biblical Hebrew source for that.

OF course there isn't. Once again, the subject of what script and what material was used for the 10C has a good sized literature. Sapphire cubes happens to be one of them..

Now enough; people want to talk about the language, not the methods of putting it there or how those words would be displayed.

risa